From last one decade, the food industry has transformed into something which no one ever thought about. However, it started with a motive to serve lip-smacking food but presently; a lot has been changed in its criteria. Right from the kitchen interiors to cooking methods everything has become one major necessity.
Amidst all such factors, keeping a frequent check on the nutrients, minerals, calories intake has become another highlight. And the reason is maintaining a good health. Understanding the eminence of today’s customers and their taste, almost every high profile restaurant, eating point or hotel hires a food scientist or nutritionist to maintain the right balance of all the healthy elements in every dish.
Before anything else, let’s get to know about the food scientist- who are they, what they do and what makes them stand out different from chefs or food analysts.
Who are food scientists?
In order to let people have healthy and safe food, a thorough check on the right quantity intake of carbohydrates, nutrients, minerals, and fiber in every meal is a must. This all is the job of a food scientist.
Their role or duties aren’t restricted to the kitchen but there are times when food scientists are demanded to visit farmhouses, fields to analyze the accurate growth and crop producing process. This job profile is a bit hard to achieve as one needs to undergo all the aspects of cooking and serving food.
In this designation, the major areas of a function include-
- Judging food quality- Before presenting food to the guests, a food scientist is supposed to analyze each and every element being used in the food preparation. This is the best way to ensure a healthy diet for every customer.
- Analyzing food sources- Of course, raw veggies don’t come straight to your kitchen. It goes through a lot of processing where it might lose its authenticity and nutrient values. To ensure it, a food scientist can help you the best.
- Food packing- Usually the factories producing packed beverages hire a food scientist to assure apt food packaging. Right from using high-quality wrapping paper to maintaining the nutrient value, every aspect is analyzed here.
- Use of kitchen equipment- No matter how good you are with maintaining the nutrient value of raw veggies but a minor loophole in the usage of food equipment can ruin all your efforts. This makes it important to have the best quality and hygienic catering equipment to be used for a healthy cooking and food.
- Animal health care- For all the dairy products, we are reliable on animals. And to let us have the best quality dairy products, a food scientist is required to keep a good check on the health and hygiene of animals.
Right from cooking to analyzing the quality of raw ingredients used for food processing, a food scientist is required to be involved everywhere and this is what enhances the eminence of this profile.